Water Meter Replacement Program
Richmond Hill has contracted Neptune Technology Group to replace and upgrade its water meters. This program is to ensure the continued accuracy of your water billings. There is no cost for the replacement of the water meter. If you receive correspondance from Neptune Technology Group, please call 1-800-667-4387 to schedule an appointment or book online at www.watermeterappt.com and enter project code “A038”. Click here for more information.
How am I billed for water?
All properties in Richmond Hill are billed for water supply and wastewater services. Both services are billed based on the metered water consumption. Residential properties are billed quarterly, and commercial and large volume accounts are billed bi-monthly. The current billing rates for all accounts are as follows:
Water and Wastewater Rate: $2.9074 per 1,000 litres effective April 1, 2013.
Water and Wastewater Rate: $2.6928 per 1,000 litres effective April 1, 2012.
What are my payment options?
Water Meter Installs
- Pay by mail: To facilitate payment and avoid losing the early payment discount, Richmond Hill will accept postdated cheques for the billing due dates. Cheques are made payable to Town of Richmond Hill and should be mailed to Richmond Hill, Water and Wastewater Payments Processing Centre, P.O. Box 1998, Station B, Toronto, ON, M5T 3G6. Please note, once postdated cheques are remitted, they cannot be returned.
- Pay at the Bank: Payments can also be made at any branch or automated bank machine of most major banks. Payments may also be made by telephone banking. Please contact your bank for more information.
- Pay in Person: Bills are payable at our cashiers counter during regular business hours (Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.), located at 225 East Beaver Creek Rd, ground floor. We accept payment by cash, cheque, money order or debit card. We do not accept credit cards for water and wastewater payments.
- Utilize our Deposit Boxes: After hours drop-off boxes are provided for your convenience at the Municipal Office at 225 East Beaver Creek Rd and at 1200 Elgin Mills Rd East. Payments can be dropped in these boxes 24 hours a day.
- Pre-Authorized Debits: Richmond Hill offers two Pre-Authorized Debit Plans, an equal billing plan which withdraws payments from your bank account each month based on estimated consumption and is then adjusted once per year to reflect actual consumption. We also offer a due date plan that would withdraw regular bill payments on the billing due date.
Richmond Hill supplies and installs all water meters for Residential and Non-Residential properties. This approach has been adopted to streamline the install process and to ensure that meters are being installed in a timely fashion.
Residential Meter Installs
Due to the immediate availability of residential water meters builders simply need to call the Meter Management Clerk at 905-771-2495 at least three days in advance of the install date to set up an appointment. Please note that if the plumbing is not ready on the date of install a $75.00 fee will be charged. We suggest builders complete the Residential Meter Install Form [PDF] and email it to email@example.com
Non-Residential Meter Installs
Effective January 1, 2003, owners will pay for both the supply and install of their water meter with their development charges at the building permit stage. Builders will no longer be purchasing meters at the Operations Centre and arranging for their own install.
Contractors should notify the Revenue Branch at least 6 weeks prior to the anticipated installation date to ensure meter availability. Once the property is ready for the water meter to be installed the builder simply needs to contact Access Richmond Hill at 905-771-8949 to set up an appointment for installation which can be as early as within 5 business days of the call.
Prior to requesting the installation of the water meter, all plumbing must be completed in accordance with approved site service drawings and the water must be turned on. Please note that if the site is not ready when the installer arrives a "Plumbing Not Ready" fee will be charged in the amount of $100.00.
Termination of services
If you are moving, or intend to demolish a residential/commercial building, please contact Access Richmond Hill at 905-771-8949 to make arrangements for a final meter reading or removal of the meter. Please call 5 days in advance.
A discount of 1.25% will be granted on current charges paid on or before the due date shown on the bill if the account balance is paid in full at that time. Please note that Richmond Hill staff are not authorized to make any exceptions to this policy.
A service charge of $35.00 will be applied to an account for which any payment is dishonoured by a bank for any reason. Any discounts which may have been granted upon the original payment will not apply.
Default of payment
Upon default of payment, the entire amount of any balance owing becomes immediately due and payable and may be collected by any means permitted by legislation.
If you wish to convert your water consumption from metric to imperial measure, or vice versa, use the following calculation:
- 1 gallon equals 4.546 litres
- 1 litre equals .2193 gallons
Please ensure that there are no leaks in your water system, as you are billed for all water passing through the water meter. The following chart demonstrates the effects of even a small leak:
A slow drip can waste 16 gallons per day!
||Streams in Diameter
||Waste over 3 month period
|(10,700 Imperial gallons in 24 hrs)
|(265 Imperial gallons in 24 hrs)
|(65 Imperial gallons in 24 hrs)
|(16 Imperial gallons in 24 hrs.)
In addition to monthly water and wastewater charges, Richmond Hill charges for the following services:
|New Account Fee
|Residential High Consumption Check
|Non-Residential High Consumption Check
|Residential Plumbing Not Ready Charge / Missed Appointment
|Non-Residential Plumbing Not Ready Charge / Missed Appointment
|Locates on Private Property
||Cost of Meter + Cost of Test + 20%
|Annual Verification of Phone-In Reads
|Delinquent Accounts - Transfer to Tax Administration fee
|Non-Compliance - Notice on Door
||$30 per notice
|Non-Compliance Water ON and OFF
|Water Certificate Fee
If you require assistance locating the water lines or locates under the property, please call 905-884-8013 (provide a minimum of eight hours notice) and we will be happy to assist you. In emergency situations, locates should be determined as soon as possible. A fee of $50.00 will be charged.
To contact the customer service section of Access Richmond Hill, please call 905-771-8949 or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.