YOUR WATER IN WINTER - Important tips for residents
- Ensure your outdoor water lines (hoses, sprinklers, etc.) are turned off and drained for winter.
- Turn your water off using the stop valve in front of your water meter when you leave your house for more than 24 hours. This limits the water damage possible if your house loses heat (e.g. power outage) and the pipes freeze. Even better: drain your pipes and turn off your water heater to further limit potential water damage.
- Maintain a clear path to the water meter remote box on the exterior wall at your property. This helps ensure your meter can be read and your bill is calculated using your actual consumption.
Remember, water lost through leaky toilets, burst outdoor pipes or other similar situations can lead to high water bills. See below for information about water billing.
How am I billed for water?
All properties in Richmond Hill are billed for water supply and wastewater services. Both services are billed based on the metered water consumption, as water meters are engineered to be extremely accurate. Residential properties are billed quarterly, and commercial and large volume accounts are billed bi-monthly.
Current Water Rates
Effective March 1, 2015, the Water & Wastewater rate went up to $3.454 per 1,000 litres, an increase of 10% over the 2014 rate.
The increase is driven by the rate charged to Richmond Hill by the Region of York. The Town is required to recover the costs for this charge.
The 2015 annual Stormwater rate increased by 10% to $52.38 for residential & farm property; $152.20 for industrial, commercial, multi-unit and condominium property.
Water and Wastewater Rate: $3.454 per 1,000 litres effective March 1, 2015.
Previous Water and Previous Wastewater Rate: $3.14 per 1,000 litres effective April 1, 2014.
Leaks in Your Water System
Please ensure that there are no leaks in your water system, as you are billed for all water passing through the water meter. If you're concerned about water meter readings, turn off all water appliances and check the water meter. It should not be recording consumption. If appliances are off and the meter is recording consumption, there may be a problem or leak within your plumbing system. Call a plumber to locate the source of water loss.
The following chart demonstrates the effects of even a small leak:
A slow drip can waste 16 gallons per day!
||Streams in Diameter
||Waste over 3 month period
|(10,700 Imperial gallons in 24 hrs)
|(265 Imperial gallons in 24 hrs)
|(65 Imperial gallons in 24 hrs)
|(16 Imperial gallons in 24 hrs.)
Water Meter Replacement Program
Richmond Hill has contracted Neptune Technology Group to replace and upgrade its water meters. This program is to ensure the continued accuracy of your water billings. There is no cost for the replacement of the water meter. If you receive the “Water Meter Replacement and Upgrade Program” pamphlet, please contact Neptune Technology Group at 1-800-667-4387 to schedule an appointment or book online at RichmondHill.watermeterappt.com and enter your reference number. Click here for more information.
What are my payment options?
Water Meter Installs
- Pay by mail: To facilitate payment and avoid losing the early payment discount, Richmond Hill will accept postdated cheques for the billing due dates. Cheques are made payable to Town of Richmond Hill and should be mailed to Richmond Hill, Water and Wastewater Payments Processing Centre, P.O. Box 1998, Station B, Toronto, ON, M5T 3G6. Please note, once postdated cheques are remitted, they cannot be returned.
- Pay at the Bank: Payments can also be made at any branch or automated bank machine of most major banks. Payments may also be made by telephone banking. Please contact your bank for more information.
- Pay in Person: Bills are payable at our cashiers counter during regular business hours (Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.), located at 225 East Beaver Creek Rd, ground floor. We accept payment by cash, cheque, money order or debit card. We do not accept credit cards for water and wastewater payments.
- Utilize our Deposit Boxes: After hours drop-off boxes are provided for your convenience at the Municipal Office at 225 East Beaver Creek Rd and at 1200 Elgin Mills Rd East. Payments can be dropped in these boxes 24 hours a day.
- Pre-Authorized Debits: Richmond Hill offers two Pre-Authorized Debit Plans, an equal billing plan which withdraws payments from your bank account each month based on estimated consumption and is then adjusted once per year to reflect actual consumption. We also offer a due date plan that would withdraw regular bill payments on the billing due date.
Richmond Hill supplies and installs all water meters for Residential and Non-Residential properties. This approach has been adopted to streamline the install process and to ensure that meters are being installed in a timely fashion.
Residential Meter Installs
Due to the immediate availability of residential water meters builders simply need to call the Meter Management Clerk at 905-771-2495 at least three days in advance of the install date to set up an appointment. Please note that if the plumbing is not ready on the date of install a $75.00 fee will be charged. We suggest builders complete the Residential Meter Install Form [PDF] and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Non-Residential Meter Installs
Effective January 1, 2003, owners will pay for both the supply and install of their water meter with their development charges at the building permit stage. Builders will no longer be purchasing meters at the Operations Centre and arranging for their own install.
Contractors should notify the Revenue Branch at least 6 weeks prior to the anticipated installation date to ensure meter availability. Once the property is ready for the water meter to be installed the builder simply needs to contact Access Richmond Hill at 905-771-8949 to set up an appointment for installation which can be as early as within 5 business days of the call.
Prior to requesting the installation of the water meter, all plumbing must be completed in accordance with approved site service drawings and the water must be turned on. Please note that if the site is not ready when the installer arrives a "Plumbing Not Ready" fee will be charged in the amount of $100.00.
Termination of services
If you are moving, or intend to demolish a residential/commercial building, please contact Access Richmond Hill at 905-771-8949 to make arrangements for a final meter reading or removal of the meter. Please call 5 days in advance.
A discount of 1.25% will be granted on current charges paid on or before the due date shown on the bill if the account balance is paid in full at that time. Please note that Richmond Hill staff are not authorized to make any exceptions to this policy.
A service charge of $35.00 will be applied to an account for which any payment is dishonoured by a bank for any reason. Any discounts which may have been granted upon the original payment will not apply.
Default of payment
Upon default of payment, the entire amount of any balance owing becomes immediately due and payable and may be collected by any means permitted by legislation.
If you wish to convert your water consumption from metric to imperial measure, or vice versa, use the following calculation:
- 1 gallon equals 4.546 litres
- 1 litre equals .2193 gallons
In addition to monthly water and wastewater charges, Richmond Hill charges for the following services:
|New Account Fee
|Residential High Consumption Check
|Residential Plumbing Not Ready Charge / Missed Appointment
|Non-Residential High Consumption Check
|Non-Residential Plumbing Not Ready Charge / Missed Appointment
|Locates on Private Property
||Cost of Meter + Cost of Test + 20%
|Annual Verification of Phone-In Reads
|Delinquent Accounts - Transfer to Tax Administration fee
|Non-Compliance - Notice on Door
||$32 per notice
|Non-Compliance Water ON and OFF
|Water Certificate Fee
If you require assistance locating the water lines or locates under the property, please call 905-884-8013 (provide a minimum of eight hours notice) and we will be happy to assist you. In emergency situations, locates should be determined as soon as possible. A fee of $50.00 will be charged.
Stormwater Management Rate
The Stormwater Management Rate is a new rate effective October 2013 that will provide dedicated funding for stormwater management in Richmond Hill. Council approved the creation of the stormwater management rate in April 2013 with the passing of By-law 25-13.
Since stormwater runs off both developed and undeveloped land, all residents and businesses will be charged the Stormwater Management Rate. Residents who currently receive a quarterly water bill for their property will see the new charge appear on their bills starting October 2013. Businesses who currently receive a bi-monthly water bill for their property will see the charge appear on their bill starting November 2013. The new charge will appear on your water bill as “Stormwater Charge.” Residents and businesses who are not on Richmond Hill water will be billed annually for the Stormwater Management Rate.
Richmond Hill has two stormwater management rates, one for residential and farm properties, the other for industrial, commercial, multi-unit and condominiums. The property type is based on the property assessment class as determined by the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation.
For residential or commercial condominiums one stormwater management rate will apply on each condominium building or complex or portion thereof with a Richmond Hill installed water meter.
The Stormwater Management Rate is being phased in over approximately ten years, while working towards being a fully sustainable funding source.
For more information on the background behind the Stormwater Management Rate, please view the following documents:
By-law 25-13 Stormwater Management Rate [PDF]
Staff Report SRCFS.13.007 Stormwater Management Financing Feasibility Study [PDF]
Staff Report SRCFS.13.015 Stormwater Management Rate Implementation Plan [PDF]
Presentation Budget Committee of the Whole March 20, 2013 Stormwater Management Rate Implementation Plan [PDF]
Proposed Phase-in Schedule - Subject to Annual Budget Approval PDF]
Stormwater Vacant Land Pre-authorization Application [PDF]
Stormwater Management Rate - Frequently Asked Questions [PDF]
Stormwater Management Rate - FAQ for Non-Metered Properties [PDF]
Introducing the Stormwater Management Rate - English [PDF] - Chinese [PDF] - Russian [PDF] - Farsi [PDF]
To contact the customer service section of Access Richmond Hill, please call 905-771-8949 or e-mail us at email@example.com.